PSALM 25:1

Unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul."  

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Octagon

Just a little tidbit of our day...  we decided to go for a walk around the block after naps.  Does anyone ever notice the little security  signs posted in the yard?  I don't think I have ever really paid them that much attention, but as we passed one today Jace pointed at it and said, "Look Mommy, it's an octagon."  I stopped and thought to myself that it really was a hexagon, but as I looked closer at it I realized that it was indeed an octagon.  I praised her and we kept walking.  We passed another security post and she said, "Mommy, it's another octagon."  So I pointed out the stop sign and after explaining that it was a stop sign asked her, "What shape is it?"  She said, "It's octagon number 3."  Which is correct... we had seen 3 octagons at that point.  I was blown away by my child, as we have really only been going over shapes haphazardly except for circles and squares!  It made me realize that, although at times I may feel inadequate as a mother, that I am, indeed, teaching them.  

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Asher knows octagons too. I think he learned it, though, from the shapes game on Noggin. =) Isn't it fun to see them put it all together, though?

Anonymous said...

That is awesome Leslie. I bought the Candy Land game for toddlers and Caelyn picked up Octagons very quickly. We went over to our her grandparents house with it and she said "Granny this is an octagon" they were blown away. Right now Caelyn picked up "Oh My God" from her cousin! Well we are going to a Christan school starting next week and I am trying to that phrase out of her head. Not doing so well right now ;-) Good Job with Jace, we miss you guys!