PSALM 25:1

Unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul."  

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Temper tantrums

oh the temper tantrums!  the embarrassing, frustrating, horrifying, throw down fits....  5, FIVE of them today.  I know part of it is she's tired.  No naps equals meltdowns in the afternoons...  but I can't make her sleep.  I have tried literally everything for her to nap.  taking suggestions, though, from anyone with fresh ideas!

next thing I realized today is that while Jace may no longer be having skin or breathing reactions to dairy that it is STILL affecting her behavior... plus her nose is running constantly again.  Too much dairy in the diet.

Matt had put Kai on a dairy & gluten free diet and has seen much improvement in Kai's behavior.  SO maybe I need to suck it up and go dairy and gluten free again for a few months and see if her behavior improves at all.

I have some new friends in my life that I am becoming increasingly more grateful for every day.  They have joined our bible study (which use to be 3 Catholics and 1 Protestant and is now 2 Catholics and 3 Protestants :) and have been so invaluable in their wisdom and insight (while probably not even realizing it).  Bible study has become one of the nicest, most interesting, blessings that Christ has graciously bestowed on me---- but more on bible study later!  One of my new friends in particular, Stephanie, said monday night at study how she was so conscientious with her first born about emphasizing his good behaviors and personality traits and not labeling him as difficult.  But feels that she hasn't been as conscientious about this with her second born (although I don't think so) because of his food allergies, sleep and reflux issues.  She doesn't want to "label" him or ever have him feel that she thinks he is the difficult one.  (Although in my opinion I think she gushes equally and frequently about BOTH of her boys :)  Well, it got me to thinking that maybe I am doing that to some extent with Jace.  Jace has always been a little melodramatic, loud (FOR SURE), and strong-willed------ from birth.  But I never, for one instant, want her to feel that I've labeled her as difficult or as a burden.  So..... my challenge to myself is to focus on Jace's good behavior, while downplaying some of her more strong willed tendencies.  Instead of just REACTING to Jace, I will try to INTERACT with her.  

These are the type of insights that I am grateful for from my new friends.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow - thanks! I'm really working on it with Silas. It changes your perspective on them, too, which helps me have more patience with the difficult times.

Jerica said...

oh, the temper tantrums...i can totally sympathize. i wish i had words of wisdom! i did read a good book "Have a New Kid By Friday" and it definitely helped, but i need to read it every day to refresh my memory!

i miss nap times too! isabella is a total terror from about 2 oclock on. i even take naps and she just sits on the bed and watches tv while i sleep!