PSALM 25:1

Unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul."  

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Open to life

What does open to life mean?  I have figured out that it means different things to different people.  Before I had children I was very pro-choice... take that how you will.  I never "believed" in abortion for myself.  I would never had made that choice.  But I didn't think it was right to limit the choices of women who felt that decision was best for them for whatever reasons.  Now, of course, I am very pro-life... ever since I saw the first ultrasound of my first baby girl!  I just feel that if every women contemplating abortion could just see/hear their baby's heartbeat we'd have fewer abortions in this country.  This has been a topic of many conversations over the past few months...

I have also had some interesting conversations in the last few months about babies, big families, etc.  There are some families who are more than happy to stop at the two requisite children, and then I know some who are so ecstatic at the prospect of accepting however many souls that the Lord blesses them with.  But here's the kicker... it is the ones open to the multiple blessings of the Lord that seem to be the less judgmental about other family size choices.  Don't get me wrong... I also know plenty of people who are happy with two children in their families that don't judge those who want more.  But it's the ones who criticize other's choices that have really been sticking with me lately.  I have heard more than one person lately criticize those having more than 2 and the more  I think about it the more it bothers me.  Who am I to judge other peoples desires to have more children?  Who are they to do so?  A good friend of mine said something so poignant that I wish I had thought of it, but alas I did not :)  BUT I will use it in the future.... hahahaha!  Here is what it was... "What's so infuriating is that a person is so willing to judge / criticize someone for CHOOSING to have another baby, but if I was to have made the CHOICE to kill my baby (abortion) than that would have been okay?"

The truth is, children love us so completely and without restriction.  They fill our lives with so much joy and LOVE...  and there is no LIFE without LOVE in it.  My brother and I have always been so much to our parents and our Nana.  And my nana's grandkids and now great grandkids are EVERYTHING to her...  isn't that a nice vision?  To have  lived a love-filled life, and then be surrounded by the blessings of grandkids and great grandkids?  That is my dream... TONS of grandkids!  Trey just laughs at me and has since before we got married.  He says we won't be able to afford all the grandkids that I dream about...  but I would love nothing more than a house filled with love...  anyone ever see the movie Dan in Real Life?  I LOVE the scene where the WHOLE family puts on their own talent show!  That's what I want to do with my children and their children, and God willing, their children's children!  That's what open to life means to me.  

Trey and I weren't prepared when we got pregnant with Jace, but it was the plan that God had for us.  I remember distinctly saying the night of our rehearsal dinner that it would be 5 years before we started having kids!  HA!  God showed us... we were pregnant within a month (and yes, we were "careful")!  Well, the Lord had started our family for us before we thought "WE" were ready, but he obviously knew that we were.  He knew it was the right time for Jacelyn Hollis Holmes to be here.  And then 20 months later He knew it was time for Rory Hart Holmes to be here (her we helped plan).  And tomorrow she'll be 1!  Time flies...  People thought and expressed their opinions even then about our forming miracle but I could not imagine my life without either of them.  God has such great, big, wonderful, EXTRAORDINARY plans for these children of ours and His.


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

The comment I hate most (and hear most often is) "You have your hands full!" Yes, I do. Thanks for pointing that out.

The topic of children (and family size) is much more touchy than I would have ever guessed. Our friends with 8 children get so much resistance from other people. And people ask us all the time if we're "done", since now we have the expected 2 children. They never asked that when we just had 1.

I love the teaching on being open to life, and I think a person's perspective (especially a woman's perspective) on children is really important. You and I agree that children are a blessing, and that makes our daily tasks of diapers and spit-up seem like a momentary discomfort in a blessed life. But if a child feels like a burden, and time with them is something to be escaped, then diapers and spit-up feel much bigger.